LAGUNA BEACH, CA — In another sign of his impressive leadership on common-sense gun reforms, today technology entrepreneur and Democratic businessman Harley Rouda received the highly-coveted endorsement of the Pride Fund to End Gun Violence.
Pride Fund to End Gun Violence supports candidates who will act on sensible gun policy reforms while championing LGBTQ safety and equality. Last week, Rouda received a recognition of candidate distinction from Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
In a statement released following the announced endorsement, Pride Fund to End Gun Violence Communications Director Taylor Houston declared:
“Harley Rouda earned our endorsement because he supports mandatory background checks for all gun purchases, restrictions on the sale and ownership of assault weapons, large-capacity magazines and bumpstocks, and empowering the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to analyze data on gun violence, As a founding member of the Human Rights Watch chapter in his district and a supporter of the Equality Act, Rouda has demonstrated his commitment to protecting the LGBTQ community from hate and discrimination. We’re proud to stand with Rouda and his campaign for Congress, and we look forward to working with him once he’s elected.”
Rouda expressed his appreciation for the endorsement by responding:
“I am incredibly proud and grateful to have the support of the Pride Fund to End Gun Violence, a seminal gun safety organization in the fight against our nation’s horrific and unrelenting gun violence. I look forward to partnering with them in the campaign to spread our message of common-sense gun safety legislation throughout the 48th District. Together, we will transform the Congress from an institution cowed by the NRA into one committed to challenging lax gun laws and loopholes.”
Rouda is committed to enacting common-sense gun reforms, including the following:
- Mandatory background checks for all gun buyers
- Banning assault rifles and high capacity magazines and modifications that make guns work like automatic weapons
- Preventing all convicted domestic abusers from buying guns (thereby closing the so-called “boyfriend loophole”)
- Appropriate waiting period for all purchases
- Banning the sale of guns to violent criminals, those that are mentally ill, and individuals on the no-fly list
- Empowering the CDC to collect and analyze data on gun use
- Creating a federal database to track gun sales
- Stop any federal reciprocity legislation that would force states to accept gun permits from states without common sense restrictions and background checks
Today’s announcement comes fresh on the heels of a game-changing endorsements from former fellow Democratic candidate in the 48th and progressive leader, Laura Oatman, as well as Congressmembers Pete Aguilar, Linda Sanchez, Lou Correa, and Alan Lowenthal.
Beyond the growing support from Democratic Congressmembers, Rouda has gotten the backing of numerous organizations including California Nurses Association (CNA), United Steelworkers Los Angeles/ Orange Counties Legislative Education Committee, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 441, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council 36, I.U.O.E Local 12, and United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry (UA) Local 582.