SAN DIEGO – This past weekend, over 3,000 California Democratic Party delegates met for the annual state party convention in San Diego where they voted to endorse Dr. Hans Keirstead in the 48th Congressional District.
This comes after Hans first received over 60% at the Pre-Endorsement Conference in January and again received over 60% at Saturday’s Endorsing Caucus by local Democrats in the 48th District.
Dr. Hans Keirstead released the following statement after the endorsement was ratified at the general session.
“As a proud Democrat, I am thrilled and humbled to receive the endorsement from the California Democratic Party. It is an honor to have the support of thousands of dedicated activists on the front lines of our movement to flip this seat, and the House,” said Dr. Hans Keirstead.
“I am energized and ready for the fight ahead because the issues at stake are too important to let politics get in the way. Thank you to our supporters, activists, delegates, and community leaders for staying united and standing up for Democratic values,” said Dr. Hans Keirstead.
Hans is the only candidate in the race with endorsements from sitting members of Congress and his campaign is anchored by activist and party leader support including:
• Congressman Jerry McNerney, CA-9
• Congressman Bill Foster, IL-11
• California State Senator Bill Dodd, District 3
• Mayor Pro Tem Ross Chun, City of Aliso Viejo
• Councilwoman Melissa Fox, City of Irvine
• Mayor Shirley Dettloff, City of Huntington Beach (ret.)
• Lorraine Prinsky P.hD., Trustee, Coast Community College District
• Jamison Power, Trustee, Westminster School Board
• Mary Carter, Laguna Beach Democratic Club
Hans Keirstead announced his run for Congress on June 15th and with just two weeks remaining in the fundraising quarter he outraised the entire primary field.
Hans’ campaign for Congress has been featured in national and local news outlets including CNN, The New York Times, Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times.
Click the image below to view CNN’s segment on Hans’ candidacy.
In a recent article by the New York Observer, Fox News Political Analyst, Ethan Bearman stated, “Orange County should get used to the phrase, ‘Congressman Keirstead.'”
Rohrabacher Challenger Keirstead Outraises Rouda in Third Quarter Democratic House candidate Hans Keirstead outraised his Democratic opponents and slightly trailed Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, who he is hoping to unseat. Read the Roll Call article here.
Cook Political Report, the industry standard for political odds-making recently upgraded CA-48 to a “toss -up” specifically citing Hans’ candidacy.
Hans has also received endorsements from the following organizations and individuals:
• National Union of Healthcare Workers
• Teamsters Joint Council #42
• 314 Action
• New Dem Candidate To Watch List
• Wylie Aitken, Attorney, Philanthropist, Democratic Fundraiser
• Bob Klein, Patient Advocate, Chief Author of Prop 71, Attorney
• Florice Hoffman, California Democratic Party Region 17 Director
• Jess Araujo, Latino Community Activist, Attorney
• Roman Reed, Philanthropist, Stem Cell Activist, President Roman Reed Foundation
• Dr. Michael Gottfredson, Provost & Executive Vice-Chancellor University of California, Irvine
• Dr. Wise Young, W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience, Founding Director
• Anthony Davies, Ph.D., Founder & CEO, Dark Horse Consulting
Dr. Hans Keirstead: A husband, father, scientist and Orange County business leader, Dr. Hans Keirstead is one of the world’s leading innovators in stem cell research and medical treatments. Hans has led therapy breakthroughs for late-stage cancers, multiple sclerosis, ALS, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal cord injury, and retinal diseases. Hans has launched multiple successful medical research companies in Orange County and is currently CEO at AIVITA Biomedical, where he is focusing on developing a cancer treatment that is proving to be the most effective treatment for cancer that has ever reached the final phases of clinical trials.
CA-48: Cook Political Report recently upgraded CA-48 from “Lean Republican” to “Toss Up” citing Dr. Hans Keirstead’s candidacy and Dana Rohrabacher’s vulnerability.