Powered by Max Banner Ads

California’s Largest Union for Hospitality Workers Backs Joe Dunn for Congress

Hot off the press from the Joe Dunn for Congress campaign:

Santa Ana, Calif. – UNITE HERE Local 11, which represents more than 21,000 hospitality and culinary workers throughout Southern California, has endorsed Joe Dunn for California’ 46th Congressional District, announced the Dunn campaign.

“Joe has the strongest record of helping working families and our immigrant communities rise to the middle class,” said Ada Briceño, Secretary-Treasurer of UNITE HERE Local 11. “We need a doer and Joe Dunn is the most experienced and most qualified candidate in this race to break through the gridlock in Congress.”

Locally, UNITE HERE Local 11 represents workers at Disneyland, area hotels, and the John Wayne Airport. Joe has stood with those workers to win fair wages and safer working conditions. He is currently working with the University of California, Irvine to permanently fund a labor center that would give workers a stronger voice in our local economy.

Joe Dunn has thirty years of experience standing up to the establishment and holding big corporations and government bureaucracies accountable to Orange County’s middle-class families. He’s empowered communities through the legal system to stop polluters and fought price-gouging drug companies. He investigated Enron and other unethical energy companies manipulating prices.  He took on oil companies ripping off consumers at the gas pump and stood up to gun manufacturers to make our neighborhoods safer.
Joe fought to secure millions of dollars from tobacco companies to be used for local health care services and community clinics. While heading the California Medical Association, Joe worked with physicians to help broaden access to affordable health care for Californians.

Joe lives with his wife, Diane, in their Santa Ana home of nearly twenty years. They have two adult children, Sarah and John. California’s 46th congressional district includes the cities of Anaheim, Garden Grove, Orange, and Santa Ana.

18 comments for “California’s Largest Union for Hospitality Workers Backs Joe Dunn for Congress

1. Pinky
    February 28, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Wow Diamond’s a lawyer for Bernie. A big shot in Kamala’s camp. What does he do for Dunn?

2. Greg Diamond
    February 29, 2016 at 7:05 am

I’ll be covering the CA-46 race honestly. I’m not part of his campaign, but doing that sort of coverage may be more critical than what I’m doing in the Presidential or Senate races.

Note, by the way: I was acting as an election protection lawyer for Bernie’s campaign at the Nevada caucuses only. My only continuing formal role in his campaign is as a small donor and volunteer on phone banks and such.

As for Kamala’s campaign, I’m doing administrative and voter contact work only (unless they need me to make an appearance somewhere on her behalf.) Anything I do as a blogger — which I’ve mostly foregone pending the CDP convention endorsement vote — will be without their advance knowledge, consent, or control.

Admittedly, none of this volunteer work is as critical as Pinky’s flinging guano at me from the shadows of anonymity. That’s REAL campaign work! I hope that HE gets paid for it!

• February 29, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I think it’s just what Pinky does for fun, between flinging guano at me, Paul Lucas, and Cynthia. Some say Pinky is Phil Bacerra.

• February 29, 2016 at 11:43 pm

a small donor? Do your family a favor and spend the money on them.

• Greg Diamond
        March 2, 2016 at 1:45 am

Not *that* small of a donor after this week. Family is fine; thanks for asking.

• March 2, 2016 at 6:47 am

Great, instead of writing checks for Bernie, take the girls shopping

• Pinky
      March 1, 2016 at 11:42 am

Are you being paid by the Harris campaign?

• March 2, 2016 at 12:26 am

Great question. He could disclose or we can review her campaign filings

• Greg Diamond
          March 2, 2016 at 1:42 am

Review her campaign filings. It will keep you occupied for a while.

Just bear in mind that IF I am getting paid, it could be as a subcontractor to a vendor, which would keep my name out of any filings. But no doubt you knew that.

• March 2, 2016 at 6:49 am

That isn’t a denial is it? And I’m sure you’d agree, if you disclosed your campaign role without disclosing you’re being paid, that would be unethical.

• Greg Diamond
        March 2, 2016 at 1:38 am

I don’t answer questions from people too afraid to take responsibility for asking them.

• March 2, 2016 at 6:50 am

So I’ll ask you the same question. Make the answer clear and try not to wrist into contortions to avoid the truth

3. Commenting Gnome
    February 29, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Get some facts before you blindly accuse people Vern. I thought you and Greg were the soldiers of honesty, truth and justice. Yet you and Joe Dunn love to take the word of a criminal convicted of possessing meth.

• Greg Diamond
      March 2, 2016 at 1:52 am

What the hell? The only person named in this story other than Dunn and his family is Ada Briceño? Are you accusing HER of this?

I hope that the proprietor knows who you really are, as otherwise he’d be the one on the hook for any defamation!

• March 2, 2016 at 6:46 am

Facebook would be sued daily. Our terms of service on commenters are the same as yours. I’ve already chat this chat with my lawyers who are far smarter than you

• Hypocrite Hater
        March 2, 2016 at 8:40 am

It’s troubling, but not surprising to see Diamond back at his 1:30 AM weekday rants against anominity.

Funny, I missed the post about David “Randy Roddy” Zenger or Paul “Henry Lipton” Lucas, instead he outs and attacks his detractors. PREDICTIBLE.

• Pinky