Bao Nguyen uses Correa’s CD-46 Poll to Bolster His Own Progressive Credentials

Bao Nguyen and Loretta Sanchez in North Hollywood

Bao Nguyen and Loretta Sanchez in North Hollywood

Remember that poll in the CD-46 race issued by Lou Correa’s campaign?  The one that showed the former State Senator well ahead of all other challengers for Loretta Sanchez’s congressional seat (including the 2014 losing Republican candidate)?  And remember how our friends at the OrangeJuice blog offered a long, hard and largely unreadable explanation of why it was “bull” and was really “a desperate fundraising stunt?”

Well, CD-46 candidate and Garden Grove Mayor Bao Nguyen is using his status in this poll to tout himself as the leading Progressive candidate in the race for an end-of-the-year fundraising pitch for his own campaign.  Is it brilliant?  is it stupid?  Is it cheap?  Is it thrifty?  Depends on who you ask.

Here’s his letter, emailed to supporters last week:

#1 Progressive candidate

Dear Supporters,

I’m excited to share some great news with you.  A recent field poll named me as the #1 Progressive candidate in the race.  The poll reaffirms my place as the true progressive candidate.

I’ve supported a progressive agenda my entire career, not because it’s expedient but because these are the issues I’m passionate about and have fought for:

• An economy that supports workers not bankers. A minimum wage indexed to inflation. Rebuilding the nation’s crumbling infrastructure.
  • A woman’s right to chose. Opposing the attempts to defund Planned Parenthood. Equal pay for equal work. True equality.
  • Immigration reform, a path to citizenship, a fair shot at the American dream.
  • Fighting against climate change, and fighting for a clean energy future.
  • Creating a just system of education that prepares our students for the 21st century economy.
  • An end to all housing and employment discrimination against LGBT people, and full equality for the transgender community.

I care deeply about these issues, as I care deeply about the 46th District.  Please support my campaign during this end the year appeal.  The end of the next reporting period is December 31, and it is important to show as much support as possible.  I need your help.

To support my campaign and make a contribution, please click on this link.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.  I look forward to working with you, in the new year, to create an amazing 2016.

Mayor Bao Nguyen

Follow the campaign at www.Bao2016.com

We sent a note to Mayor Nguyen asking which poll this was, thinking Mayor Nguyen had commissioned his own.  Sources confirmed Nguyen used Correa’s poll.

If the poll was a “desperate fundraising stunt” by Correa, doesn’t this logic apply to Nguyen’s campaign as well?  To borrow a line from the guys with too much time on their hands at the OJ Blog, “See what I just did there?  I just did a poll!”  The Mayor hasn’t gotten back to us on which poll demonstrated his progressive leadership status.

Nguyen’s 8% showing in Correa’s poll suggests he, and not former State Senator Joe Dunn (who came in at 5%), is the best hope for progressives in CD-46 and tries to brand Correa has Democratic yet not progressive.  To have to admire Nguyen for using another candidate’s, allegedly flawed, poll for a “desperate fundraising stunt.”  He saves money by not having to do his own.  But in using Correa’s poll, Nguyen lends credibility to it.

The CD-46 race will be fascinating to watch as we get closer to the June primary.

29 comments for “Bao Nguyen uses Correa’s CD-46 Poll to Bolster His Own Progressive Credentials

1. December 29, 2015 at 9:00 am

“Long. Hard. Unreadable.” Speak for yourself if you found it hard to read. That’s easy to believe, since you can’t come up with an assertion of Greg’s that you can quarrel with.

I would use that poll too if I were Bao. You use what you can.

• December 29, 2015 at 9:10 am

Vern, I comment on your blog once a year to typically wish you guys a Merry Christmas. The quarrel Greg has now is with Bao’s decision to use this poll to fundraise after having trashed Correa for doing the same thing. But I’m sure you and Greg are both up to the task of trashing one candidate for using the poll and praising another for using the same poll as you just did. Did you pull a muscle doing those gymnastics?

• Flower Power
      December 29, 2015 at 11:42 am

“You use what you can.”

That’s Vern’s motto for life.

• December 29, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Ummm….

And?

• junior
      December 29, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Vern: “The consensus right now is ignore those f**ks. (Matt & Dan.)” — Except Vern used the actual “F” word.

That “consensus” of thought didn’t last long.

• December 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I’m thinking you need to hire one of these poor souls Junior; only one of them has a full time regular job. But perhaps not, because instead of doing actual work they’d tell you what you’re doing wrong and how dumb you are and how smart they are…and not actually accomplish anything

• December 29, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Kinda dishonest of you to leave out the next sentence I wrote: “But that consensus seems to swing like a pendulum.”

Or the companion comment in which I tried to explain how hard it is to keep away from Matt’s and Dan’s Kompanion Klepto Blogs:

“You say to yourself, ‘Really, this is all the other side has to offer (besides money and power?) I can easily show how stupid, venal and wrong what they just said is – and be funny while doing it.’ THAT is impossible to resist, for some of us (mostly) guys.

• December 29, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Lecturing about dishonesty? Really Vern? Practiced daily on your blog

• junior
          December 30, 2015 at 7:15 am

Really Vern …. a day and a half – if that – of “ignoring” .. Not much of a commitment there …

• Pinky
          December 30, 2015 at 12:30 pm

You and your OJ buddies read ever word. Zenger has become a stalker. You’re all so smart but live hand to mouth. Losers one and all. Paul Lucas sharpening knives for his enemies scares no one

2. December 29, 2015 at 9:36 am

Neither of us “praised Bao” for using the poll. I said “I’d use it too if I were him, you use what you can.” What kinda ringing praise is that? And I am not Greg. My muscles are fine, just getting warmed up with an end-of-the-year Dan-smackdown boot camp.

Happy New Year!

• December 29, 2015 at 9:46 am

Of course you’d use what your blog called a flawed poll to fundraise. No criticism there. Nope.

• Greg Diamond
        December 29, 2015 at 10:03 am

My update to the story is now posted. Same link.

Happy holidays to both the real and the fictive readers of Lib OC. (Word choice intentional.)

• December 29, 2015 at 10:14 am

Always the guy that needs things spelled out for him like a kindergartener.

The moral of Greg’s piece was not “Lou is an evil man because he created a poll to give the results he wanted and then used it to fundraise.” The moral was “Everyone should take this poll with a great deal of salt.”

• December 29, 2015 at 11:19 am

the moral of every post of Greg’s is “I’m (Greg) the smartest guy here and everyone should do what I say or think the way I think” which is why he has so little support within the county party.

• junior
            December 29, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Nailed it!!!!!!

3. Eightth Floor Snitch
    December 29, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Greg,
    You’re a clown who should get a job and take care of his family but would rather people think you’re smart and matter. Sadly you don’t.

• Pinky
      December 29, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Greg is a clown. No one takes him seriously. Vern is a convicted felon. His girlfriend got nothing for Xmas. Greg’s wife got nothing but was told she should be grateful

• December 29, 2015 at 6:55 pm

…he/she writes in the wake of one of my most successful holiday seasons yet, during which dozens enjoyed my fortune and generosity.

You don’t know jack, anonymous scumbag.

• December 29, 2015 at 8:06 pm

And next week is January. Holiday parties are over. Now what?

• December 30, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Don’t you-all worry, I got plenty of work lined up; and every day I kneel down and thank my maker that it is not in the field of “public relations.”

• December 30, 2015 at 8:39 pm

You’d need to shower every day; not exactly a habit of yours.

• December 31, 2015 at 10:01 am

Still, even if you took three showers a day (which would admittedly be more than my two), the daily polishing of turds for a living DOES take a huge toll on YOUR odor.

• Dan Chmielewski
                  December 31, 2015 at 1:43 pm

stick to stuff you know; music, alcohol, jail. you know nothing about the PR profession. Polishing turds is what Greg does for CATER. Still waiting for a significant win.

4. December 29, 2015 at 6:46 pm

By the way, Dan, your title shows how little you ever understand, how inevitably you miss the point and are drawn instead to the siren song of cliche. Bao didn’t use Lou’s poll to “bolster his progressive credentials,” but to make the case that he had the best chance electorally of the two progressive choices.

You’re welcome.

• December 29, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Voters in the 46th generally don’t know Bao. I stand by my headline.

5. December 29, 2015 at 8:10 pm

For Larry Davidson, never leave another comment like the one you wrote on this blog ever again. I do not care for Mr. Diamond, but leave his step-grandchild out of any discussion about OC politics.

6. Jenny Phan
    December 29, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I would be glad to see Bao MOVE into the district! Then we could begin to take him seriously.

• December 29, 2015 at 11:09 pm

He’d probably have to resign as mayor of Garden Grove. I’d actually like to see him challenge Dana for Congress or Do for Supe.