pile of moneyOn Tuesday night, without comment, the Anaheim city council agreed to pay $1.22 million in plaintiff attorneys fees related to a voting rights lawsuit seeking to require the establishment of council districts, and district level elections, in the city. The amount is on top of the $1.25 million in legal fees the city had incurred fighting the inevitable. The only thing gained by the council majority’s opposition to the lawsuit was to delay the implementation of a new district election process, and it’s presentation to voters for approval in November.

Anaheim Councilwomen Kris Murray and Gail Eastman (Photos: Chris Prevatt)

Anaheim Councilwomen Kris Murray and Gail Eastman (Photos: Chris Prevatt)

Why so much effort, and waste of taxpayer funds, to stop what was clearly inevitable? Simple really; to protect the status quo so that members Murray and Eastman would get one more shot at four-year terms on the council before the implementation of districts. The entire battle, all of the posturing and positioning, all the legal fees, was so that the current power base in Anaheim would have four more years to raid the public piggy-bank to reward the rich and powerful interests in Orange County’s largest city.

Orange County Republicans, claiming conservative credentials, consistently complain about tax and spend liberals. What this voting rights case proves, above all else, is that these so called “conservatives” are all about protecting their ability to line the pockets of resort-area business interests and developers with taxpayer funded “incentives.” It will be interesting to see how much money these special interests will spend to defeat the charter amendment establishing district level elections, so that their hand-picked council-majority can implement a plan to erode the strength of district elections by having the entire city vote for individual council members.

23 comments for “Anaheim council majority spent $2.47 million in attempt to stop district-level elections

1. Will
    April 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

There has got to be more to the story than what was written above. That’s a lot of taxpayer money wasted/spent.

2. Ryan Cantor
    April 2, 2014 at 9:31 am

Nice post.

“The entire battle, all of the posturing and positioning, all the legal fees, was so that the current power base in Anaheim would have four more years to raid the public piggy-bank to reward the rich and powerful interests in Orange County’s largest city.”

More on this please. Less on Dan lamenting about lack of testicles.

April 2, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I have long supported district elections in Anaheim. But I seriously doubt you have a pair.

4. Greg Diamond
    April 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Ryan, we can just add that to the pile of true facts that Dan seriously doubts.

Good article, “Ed.” Why try to put off district elections to 2016, if even then?

(1) They’re not done looting the city yet. The Demographer’s Report from last year says that they only have a few more years.

(2) This is the year that their control is most in danger — when Eastman and (to a lesser extent, from their perspective) Murray are on the ballot. In 2016, they’re apparently planning on running Steven A. “C.” Lodge, probably meaning that either Brandman is planning on moving up to another office (Daly vacating the office — but for what? Supe? Taking on Loretta?) or else they’re presuming that either Kring won’t be there or that they’ll knock her off regardless.

• Ryan Cantor
      April 2, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Just a note to the other folks on this site, that’s about a clear a violation of your terms as commenting as can be made, Dan. If you don’t enforce it on yourself, it becomes unenforceable for all. Not that I really care, but it’s sad your blogging partners have to tolerate your hypocrisy.

Greg, it sure is nice to see some real writing on this site. Shame there isn’t an author’s name. Some real talent shows up here when Dan isn’t writing about people’s private parts.

• April 3, 2014 at 12:24 pm

“ass” is not “a private part” Ryan, and Greg’s perceptions of issues I support and don’t are far from factual. I especially enjoy when he opines about my emotional state or what upsets me or not. Funny stuff; suitable for open mic night at the Brea Improv

• Ryan Cantor
          April 3, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Try running around Irvine with yours hanging out and see what happens.

Assuming of course, you don’t already.

• April 3, 2014 at 1:27 pm

clearly, you’ve never been to the Irvine Spectrum Center on a Friday night.

• Ryan Cantor
              April 3, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Dan, well played. HT.

5. Thomas Anthony Gordon
    April 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm

The entire City of Santa Ana votes to elect the Councilmember that represents my neighborhood and every other.

Time to bring ward specific elections to Santa Ana or time to bring a lawsuit.

April 2, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Greg, i seriously doubt you know your ass from a hole in the ground.

7. Greg Diamond
    April 2, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Sure I do. I don’t think that you should kiss a hole in the ground.

April 2, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I don’t. You’re not the smartest guy in the room either

9. junior
    April 3, 2014 at 9:48 am

You must be a minority type person Thomas.

10. April 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Thomas, the usual suspects who would ring that lawsuit won’t – because doing so in Santa Ana would not advance left-wing political priorities.

11. cook
    April 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Thomas, why are you in favor of voting? I would rather be able to vote for each council member than only one.

12. Greg Diamond
    April 4, 2014 at 12:15 am

I’d take the retainer to study it, and bring the suit if it’s appropriate — but it’s not clear that there’s a suit there, because the Voting Rights Act analysis involves more than you seem capable of comprehending, Teddy Ghoul. I’ll explain it to you, though, for an appropriate consultation fee. How’s $25,000 sound?

• April 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

Greg, try spending your time on raising money, defining issues on your campaign website and getting endorsements. Right now, I’m sure all three of those areas are barren.

13. cook
    April 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

I meant “not voting”

14. Greg Diamond
    April 4, 2014 at 6:29 pm

OK, Dan: (1) I’d like your personal endorsement for District Attorney, which (2) I’ll happily note on my campaign website, and then (3) please send my campaign $1900. You know where to find the link.

If you prefer Tony Rackauckas, though, just say so!

• April 4, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I seldom endorse. And when I do, I send a check. Don’t hold your breath

15. junior
    April 5, 2014 at 6:46 am

Diamond – Have you raised $4.19 yet?

• April 8, 2014 at 11:59 am

No a single endorsement. Not a single issue. World’s shortest biography.