Time for Petracca, Mears and Swaim to Turn in Their Liberal Cards

I’m the recipient of a piece of mail for the Irvine elections that made me laugh out loud.  The mailer benefits the Choi-Shea-Schott ticket but its paid for by the California Term Limits PAC and features three prominent Irvine liberals stating why they aren’t voting for Larry Agran.  So what’s the alternative gentlemen? Ushering in a conservative Republican who’s against everything you’re for?

The headline is an unfounded claim that Agran wants to turn Irvine into the county’s most densely poplated city. Meanwhile, the Orange County Business Journal has a page 1 story that says “Irvine Won’t Max Out for Decades.”  The city is the fastest growing in OC with significant development with apartment housing, so why are the Republicans against these good high-paying jobs?

But I regress.

Mark Petracca, a political science professor at UCI; Chris Mears, a former council member in Irvine, and Will Swaim, former editor at OC Weekly, the failed District Weekly in Long Beach and the editor of the now dead Republic of Costa Mesa blog, have all renounced Agran citing how he’s changed without mentioning how much they’ve changed themselves. In lending their voices against Irvine’s progressive slate of candidates, these three are basically saying, “why yes, I’d love to spite my face by cutting off my nose.”

(Updating comment) In a Facebook dialogue, Petracca admits he isn’t sure who he’s voting for, but he has four choices — a vote for Choi which means he should be kicked out of the party immediately, a vote for Katherine Daigle, a non-Tea Party Republican, a write in of a progressive candidate he likes (it’s spelled C-H-M-I-E-L-E-W-S-K-I), or to blank the race, and Petracca hopes a new slate of progressives will emerge in Irvine.  Unfortunately, there is no new slate of progressives on the ballot this November.  Mears, who ran with Agran and Krom about 10 years ago, has represented Christina Shea after she was accused of making a political call to threaten an Irvine city employee and union leader during the work day.  Swaim has embraced the conservative slate of candidates in Costa Mesa, embracing an anti-labor position and promoting Jim Righeimer,  whose positions on labor unions are embraced by Choi.  So if you’re a progressive, your only choice in this election cycle is one for Larry Agran.

Our friends at PBS-SoCal give these guys a platform to be liberals on Real Orange or the Rick Reiff program, but with liberals like these, perhaps it’s time for KOCE to find some new ones.

And for all the whining about mailers from PACs from the Choi slate, the embraced a PAC for this mailer.  I don’t think mailers will sway many voters one way or another.  Irvine voters see the well manicured parks, the clean streets, and healthy schools when they go to the polls, not mailers.  But with Progressives like these, who needs Republicans?

When you’re ready to give us progressive alternatives fellas, I’m all ears.

10 comments for “Time for Petracca, Mears and Swaim to Turn in Their Liberal Cards

1. October 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Swaim is now working with Steve Greenhut at Franklin Center.

That doesn’t make him any better, but I suppose he stays fed. You did get his resume right, but you failed to mention he’s the smartest guy in Orange County.

Just ask him. But be prepared for an epistle in response.

• Xander
      October 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Interesting. Greenhhut is turning the Franklin Institute for his out-of-work buddies. First he saves John Seiler from food stamps by giving that nut a job “reporting” for CalWatchdog, now he hires Swaim, who never wrote a story he could fact-check.

2. Xander
    October 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

[I meant to write]: Interesting. Greenhhut is turning the Franklin Institute into a jobs program for his out-of-work buddies. First he saves John Seiler from food stamps by giving that nut a job “reporting” for CalWatchdog, now he hires Swaim, who never wrote a story he could fact-check.

3. Climate Change
    October 18, 2012 at 5:51 am

Wait, somebody gave Will Swaim a liberal card? Why? The guys at the Alt-weeklies aren’t liberal at all. Their politics are closer to straight-up anarchism, with a rather bizarre jealousy of public employees, who have the benefits and pensions that they don’t receive in their crappy jobs for third-rate alt-weeklies in minor markets.

And is Petracca a liberal? No he’s an academic who pretends to be a Democrat so he can be the go-to guy when lazy journalists like Wisckol can’t get hold of Frank Barbaro.

4. Ltpar
    October 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Dan, why is everybody always wrong about Larry Agran and you are always right. Both Petracca and Mears were a lot closer to Agran than you ever will be and knew all his dark secrets. Something happened, I do not know what, to cause them to walk away from the man. As I have known Larry pretty well myself for many years, I just assumed that they saw what I had seen, the Larry Agran today is not the same man we knew when we all supported him. Both Mears and Petracca are men of high ethics and integrity and are above your liberal bashing. I do not know Will Swaim, so there is no opinion on him, except he has now joined the Past Friends of Larry Club, of which there are many members. Bottom line is one of these days, when the real Larry Agran is exposed, it will be to the end that even you, the master of spin, will be able to fix it.

5. October 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

These men haven’t been close to Agran in about 8 years Pat.

Sorry, but look at how your own party treats Republicans willing to compromise or who don’t sign pledges to unelected conservative nutjobs.

I have no use for “liberals” who aren’t helpful to liberals. Swaim sold out a long time ago and loves him Righeimer. Choi aspires to be Righeimer. Irvine needs to move forward, not backwards.

I have yet to see any hard evidence that Daigle is an Agran plant. Lots of supposition. But then again, a FACT could slap you in the face and you’d deny it.

• Ltpar
      October 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Sorry Dan, I am not a turn the other cheek born again kind of guy. Anyone , “fact, fiction or otherwise” who slaps me in the face, gets twice as hard slap back. It might not be good for my soul, but it sure feels good in the physical sense.

What a laugh comparing Steven to Righeimer. I could agree on Jeff Lalloway being of the same mindset and I am not saying those guys are 100% wrong (Just 70%). Steven Choi, in his worse day, couldn’t hold a candle to Righeimer. I think you will see after the election, that under the new Council majority, Irvine will regroup and start to move forward. I am almost sorry that I won’t be here to participate in that clean up, but such is life. Guess I will have to read about it in the IWN online. If I want to get the spin version, check your column.

6. Vince Hanna
    October 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Well lets see…under Larry, you have $200 million spent thus far on a not so great Park. There’s consistent understaffing and morale issues at his police department. Then you have an iShuttle bus to nowhere at a cost of $600,000 annually to Irvine tax payers? And you dare call him a “progressive” leader? Am I missing something here?

• Ltpar
      October 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Vince, you know that Liberals, Socialists, Communists and Anarchists, don’t like to be called out by their real names, so they coined the fantasy term, “Progressive.”

Larry, Beth and Sukhee are hard core Liberals and like their brothers and sisters in Washington D.C, lust after larger, more expensive government which does everything for everyone. To get real and not imiginary progressive government, we have to get Agran’s opponents (Choi, Shea and Shott), elected on November 6th.

7. CM Man
    October 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Dan, for continuing to tell everyone about Swaim. Costa Mesa is fighting for its life against fascists led by Righeimer. Swaim wrote an attack blog supporting the junta. Nobody bought his amateur BS.

Swaim’s an old dog in a new world. He just can’t hunt anymore; all he can do is gnaw on bones people like Righeimer throw to him.