Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido held his first fundraiser of the 2012 election season tonight in Santa Ana at a catered event at First American Corp off Main Street. And the event attracted the likes of Lucy Dunn of OCBC, Frank Barbaro of the DPOC, State Rep. Jose Solorio, Broadcom executive Henry Nicholas, Rancho Santiago Trustee Dave Chapel, and Karina Onofre, the Republican candidate for Santa Ana City Council in Ward 5.
And while guests enjoyed the wine and the shrimp, that was some chat about this morning’s LA Times story that indicates more Santa Ana residents want to see a change at the top with the paper calling Pulido, Santa Ana’s “Invisible Mayor.”
From the LATimes story:
For the first time, Santa Ana leaders, activists and political insiders are actively urging voters to make a change in November and replace the man who some have come to view as the “invisible mayor.”
“I think it’s the start of an awakening within the city,” said Councilman Sal Tinajero, who along with two council colleagues are backing Councilman David Benavides.
Longtime Pulido allies, such as the county’s Democratic Party, the county’s labor federation and the city’s police union, also have deserted the long-time mayor and jumped behind Benavides, the best known of five candidates challenging Pulido.
“In order to make good decisions for a city you need to have a pulse and understand what the needs and the issues are in the community, both for the residents and businesses,” said Benavides, who believes City Hall has become largely inaccessible to residents in the immigrant community under Pulido’s watch.
Pulido, he said, has been “absent from our community for far too long.”
The Voice of OC reported that Pulido was caught texting on his smart phone during a candidate’s forum earlier this week in front of Santa Ana’s business leaders, giving these leaders less than 100 percent of his attention which seems to bolster his critics’ charges.
Additionally, The Liberal OC must report that Pulido’s campaign consultants have been less than honest with us about a “rogue” website that went up for the Mayor that isn’t exactly “rogue.” Three weeks ago, we were told that www.mayorpulido2012.com was being taken over by the campaign by 5PM Thursday September 13. The site was created by OC PR and eMedia Solutions, a “PR” firm founded by New Santa Ana blogger Art Pedroza. GoDaddy.com, the site’s registrant, can transfer a site in about 30 minutes and it can take up to 5 business days for the WHO IS data to be updated. None of this has happened and content from the site suggests it is still being run by Pedroza. In a document obtained by TheLiberalOC, Pedroza admits the Pulido campaign “retained” him to build the Mayor’s website.
The only question remains is how much is the Pulido campaign paying for these services. Pedroza was paid $5,150 in 2010 by Pulido’s consultants, DeSnoo & DeSnoo but not reported after the election was over in early 2011.