Leave it to the Costa Mesa City Council Majority led by Mayor Pro Tem Jim Righeimer to continue their quest to bull doze their outsourcing agenda, no matter what policies they violate.
The Daily Pilot reports this morning on yesterday’s city council meeting:
The Costa Mesa City Council voted Tuesday night to send out a modified version of its request for bids to outsource facility maintenance, despite a warning that the move could violate city policy.
“The people who would actually perform the work have no input if [the modified request for bids] actually lists the work currently being performed,” said Jennifer Muir, spokeswoman for the Orange County Employees Assn. speaking on behalf of its subgroup, the Costa Mesa City Employees Assn.
Muir pointed out that city policy requires employees to have an input into a request for proposal, or RFP, that will affect their jobs.
According to the story, the proposal approved yesterday modifies the previous RFP that failed to result in responsive bids. This vote revealed a possible chink in the armor of the Righeimer Juggernaut.
In a 3-2 vote, with Bever and Councilwoman Wendy Leece dissenting, the council approved sending out the RFP.
“I was hoping to maybe avoid another $2-million lawsuit here,” Bever said after the vote.
The city has racked up hundreds of thousands, if not more than $1 million, in legal fees in the last year defending itself in a lawsuit from city employees over proposed outsourcing.
Looks like these “saviors of taxpayer dollars” have no problem racking up legal bills that erase the minimal savings they are trying to squeeze out of the bodies of their dedicated city employees.