Of Orange County’s six members of the U.S. House of Representatives, only one, Democrat Loretta Sanchez, for voted the Affordable Health Care for America Act, the House health care reform bill which passed last weekend by a narrow vote of 220 to 215.
It boggles TheLiberalOC.com’s mind that even one Congressman or Congresswoman would cast a vote against obviously overdue health care reform legislation which, per the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, would “slightly reduce federal budget deficits.”
The bill is endorsed by a veritable who’s who of respected, respectable American organizations, including:
- AARP, representing senior citizens
- The AMA, the largest U.S. organization of physicians
- The ANA, the largest U.S. organization of nurses
- The American Cancer Association
- The American Heart Assocation
- The American Diabetes Association
Citing phony scare-tactic arguments about “government run health care” while hypocritically failing to acknowledge the unparalleled success of Medicare and the Veterans’ Administration medical care, both government-run health care programs, five Orange County Congressman took their cynical marching orders from the Republican party, and voted against uninsured, under-insured, and privately insured Orange Countians… which is everyone who lives in our fair county.
Republicans Gary Miller (CA-40), Ed Royce (CA-42), Ken Calvert (CA-44), Dana Rohrabacher (CA-46), and John Campbell (CA-48) voted to deny you, your loved ones, your neighbors, and All Orange County residents the following desperately needed insurance reform measures:
- No more pre-existing conditions to deny coverage.
- No more rate discrimination against women.
- No more increasing premiums because a person becomes ill.
- No more cancelling coverage because a person becomes ill.
- Children may remain on parents’ insurance through age 26.
- 36 million uninsured Americans would obtain health care coverage under this bill.
For a complete but quick-reading description, see Key Provisions of the House Health Care Bill.
After their unconscionable votes on the House health care bill, TheLiberalOC.com can’t imagine how Orange County’s Republican Congressmen sleep at night. Or look themselves in the mirror. I guess they just don’t give a damn if Orange County citizens needlessly suffer… or die… from lack of access to health services. It’s apparently all politics to them.
Shame on them for neither voting for the Affordable Health Care for America Act, nor proposing their own credible legislation to provide adequate health care coverage for their own voters.
Why, oh why, does Orange County persist in sending these Republican misanthropes back into Congress? Frankly, it defies common sense that Orange County keeps reelecting these five Congressmen who don’t have our best interests at heart.