Monday at 5 pm was the deadline for candidates seeking to complete the final year of disgraced Assemblyman Mike Duvall’s termÂ in the 72nd Assembly District. From an initial field of 9 potntial candidates we now have 5 in the race. Three Republicans, one Democrat, and one Green Party member filed their paperwork and paid their filing fees to run.
Here is how the OC Register’s Brian Joseph described the field:
- Linda Ackerman, a Republican who has re-registered in Fullerton, a member of the Board of Directors of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and the wife of former Senate Republican Leader Dick Ackerman;
- Richard Faher, a Republican businessman from Placentia who is little-known in the political world;
- John MacMurray, a Democrat from La Habra and a public school teacher;
- Chris Norby, a Republican from Fullerton on the Orange County Board of Supervisors; and
- Jane Rands, a Green Party candidate from Fullerton who describes herself as a systems engineer.
Republicans hold a significant 9.5% voter registration advantage over Democrats in this north Orange County district; 43.35Â to 33.8%. The Democrats are scheduled to hold their endorsement caucus on October 10th.
If no candidate wins 50% plus 1 of the November 17th vote, there will be a run-off election in January.