Powered by Max Banner Ads 

Pat Buchanan: “This has been a country built, basically, by white folks”

And they call Sotomayor a rascist. Why does MSNBC still pay this guy?

From the July 16 edition of MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show:

MADDOW: Why do you think it is that of the 110 Supreme Court justices we’ve had in this country, 108 of them have been white?

BUCHANAN: Well, I think white men were 100 percent of the people that wrote the Constitution, 100 percent of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence, 100 percent of the people who died at Gettysburg and Vicksburg, probably close to 100 percent of the people who died at Normandy.

This has been a country built, basically, by white folks in this country who were 90 percent of the entire nation in 1960 when I was growing up, Rachel, and the other 10 percent were African-Americans who had been discriminated against — that’s why.

Don’t take my word for it, watch it yourself.

The following clip is from the July 16 edition of MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show compiled by Media Matters.

From a Media Matters research piece on Buchanan’s comments:

Asserting that Judge Sonia Sotomayor is not qualified to serve on the Supreme Court, MSNBC analyst Pat Buchanan claimed during the July 16 edition of MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show that Sotomayor has “never written anything that I’ve read in terms of a law review article or a major book or something like that on the law.” In fact, according to her Judiciary Committee questionnaire, Sotomayor has published several law review articles, including a note she wrote while a student at Yale Law School and a law review article adapted from a speech she gave.

Moreover, in response to host Rachel Maddow’s question, “Why do you think it is that of the 110 Supreme Court justices we’ve had in this country, 108 of them have been white?” Buchanan again falsely claimed that “100 percent of the people who died at Gettysburg” were white men. He added: “This has been a country built, basically, by white folks in this country.” However, at least one African-American and one woman disguised as a male soldier reportedly died in the Gettysburg campaign.

Read the rest of the Media Matters analysis here.