Just In Case!

obama-redoEarlier today President Barack Obama and Chief Justice John Roberts had a oath of office redo in the White House’s Map Room. Constitutionally President Obama became POTUS Tuesday at noon, but constitutional scholars also pointed out that the oath of office is also a constitutional requirement… so what happens when the Chief Justice and the Commander in Chief fumble the words? In reality nothing would have come of it, but it seems like they played it on the safe side. And thank the gods for that because could you imagine the right wing banter we would have to endure for 4 years about him not having been sworn in properly?

Steve Perez

is a young political operative, and life-time resident of Anaheim. His parents immigrated to the US illegally in the 70's and settled with their respective families within 1 block of where he currently resides. Since then they've become US Citizens, home-owners, and completed their education. Steve takes a special interest in federal politics, the Gay Right's Movement, and corruption in the political process. Most recently, he helped elect Lon Hurwitz to the Superior Court Bench, as the campaign's Field Manager and Campaign Coordinator.

Tags:

7 comments for “Just In Case!

1. Publius
    January 22, 2009 at 3:14 am

I do hope that the Chief Justice left out the "So help me God" part this time, since it is NOT a part of the Constitutionally-prescribed oath (see Article 2, Section 1).

2. Bladerunner
    January 22, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Oh, please. These words were at Obama's request. He's your candidate–live with it. If it's that important to you to have someone who won't use those words, run a pagan for President.

3. January 23, 2009 at 1:59 am

We do know it was done without a Bible.

4. January 23, 2009 at 4:19 am

OH WOW! I didn't even realize that! And this is technically the one that counts since it was meant as a safeguard against the faulty one!

5. Bladerunner
    January 23, 2009 at 5:24 am

Well, I'll try again since my previous comment was deleted. "So help me God" was Obama's request. Get over it. If you don't like the language run a pagan for President.

6. January 23, 2009 at 10:47 am

Bladerunner,
    I can assure you wholeheartedly that neither I nor any editor here at LOC deleted your comment. I was just talking to Chris today about the pros and cons of our new layout as well as the intense debate function. Unfortunately we've encountered a few problems regarding our commenting system that we are diligently working on to solve and I apologize for your lost comment. I remember reading it too so sorry about that.

7. Jennifer
    January 23, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I am really glad that Obama retook the oath. It was really funny though how they both fumbled the words the first time around. Could the president actually be considered not a president if he was sworn in incorrectly.