Why Obama Doesn’t Get It

Cartoon by: Michael Derry

Cartoon by: Michael Derry

Michael Derry is an illustrator and animator working in Los Angeles. He has done work for print, the web, and television. He had his first solo art show in Los Angeles in July. His comic strip “Troy” has been running in alternative papers for the past ten years.

8 comments for “Why Obama Doesn’t Get It

1. anon
    December 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Frankly, I agree with President-Elect Obama. The propensity for Americans to allow a SINGLE issue to make such bitter, hateful (and that is not a statement about one side or the other) enemies of each other is really less than ideal.

2. demmother
    December 20, 2008 at 6:07 pm

I understand from a non emotional/political point of view.
    As a friend of the LGBT Community, it was like a knife through the heart.

3. Misha Houser
    December 21, 2008 at 9:06 am

Welcome aboard Michael. I adore your artistic style and talents! I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work. Your website is delightful.

4. Eric Cooper
    December 21, 2008 at 10:57 am

Looks like the gay community in Orange County should resign from the Democratic Party.

5. Brian
    December 21, 2008 at 8:05 pm

I won’t resign from the democratic party over this. The other party is much worse for gays like me. I will be smarter in the future about volunteering my time and donating my money to a candidate like Obama. I predict not only gays but progressives and antiwar activists are in for a great disappointment. I know he used code words during the campaign like “between a man and a woman” but we were also getting messages from his campaign and Michelle Obama “don’t worry, he gets it. Mr Obama has chosen a man who compares my marriage to pedophilia. I don’t think you can get much more insulting than that. His church does not allow gay members, its exclusive. Let’s be honest, what other minority group would allow this? I was fool to waste hours volunteering for him and donating to his campaign of “change”. There will be no change for gays from this president. He will spend the next 4 years trying to convince evangelicals to vote for him, going the “center” and “right”. I wish he had the courage of Jerry Brown but looking back now, he has never shown it in the past. I predict in 2 years we will still be in Iraq and gay people in the military will be serving under don’t ask don’t tell. In 4 years, Obama will be voted out as most leftist will sit it out choosing not to get fooled twice.

6. isa kocher
    December 22, 2008 at 4:37 am

“The propensity for Americans to allow a SINGLE issue to make such bitter, hateful (and that is not a statement about one side or the other) enemies of each other is really less than ideal.”

It is so cruel, so merciless, so demeaning, so inhumane, so cruel to blame hate on the victim, as if there were two sides to this, two contrary points of view. No.

We want our rights, our right to life as humans, the right of our family and our children their right and our right to equality before the law, equity in taxes, in inheritance, in medical care, in education, in jobs, in safety, and we don’t hate. They hate us.l It takes a person absent altogether of soul to suggest that my children hate because they love their family. It is their hate which makes it an issue. We only ask for equal justce before the law, in civil contract law, and separate but equal is an oxymoron in law.

7. isa kocher
    December 22, 2008 at 4:49 am

“I won’t resign from the democratic party over this.” NO. We did save maybe the American experiment. But denying our rights as gay people and sacrificing our rights is no different than sacrificing anyone else’s. When principle is expendable, when people are expendable for purposes of expediency, than everybody is. When basic constitutional law is negotiable because of political triangulation, political power calculus, then all the poor and all powerless and the commonwealth itself is up for grabs.

8. The Wicked Woman
    December 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Inviting Rick Warren to give the invocation at the inauguration is like inviting Strom Thurmond to speak at the 1963 March on Washington. Just as MLK would not have been taken seriously, if not completely disavowed, for having done so, I have to wonder if Obama should not suffer the same fate–at least as far as LGBT are concerned. I was so proud because this wonderful man had made it to the White House and I’d helped. I now question everything and wish that I could get the money back that I donated. And before anyone makes an assumption about who I am and what “right” I have to invoke the ’63 march or MLK, let me say that I am a black lesbian old enough to know exactly what that march meant.