DPOC Responds to Misleading Robocalls

The Democratic Party of Orange County (DPOC) has been informed that robocalls are being made to Democrats living in the Capistrano Unified School District. These robocalls imply that CUSD trustee candidates Jack Brick, Ken Maddox, Sue Palazzo, and Mike Winsten are endorsed or supported by the Democratic Party.

The implication of any sort of official support by the DPOC is false.

The four candidates mentioned in the robocall are registered Republicans and each is endorsed by the Orange County Republican Party. The Democratic Party of Orange County does not endorse any non-Democrats running for public office. Neither the Democratic Party of Orange County nor the California Democratic Party has made any endorsements in the 2008 CUSD races.

“We’re very concerned about this,” said DPOC Chairman Frank Barbaro, “and we fully expect the originator of these calls to stop them immediately and to publically acknowledge that there is not now, nor has there ever been, a Republican candidate endorsed by the DPOC. It’s sad that someone felt it was necessary to do this, but flattering that they thought the DPOC endorsement was so valuable. We hope that further action won’t be required to make this right.”

11 comments for “DPOC Responds to Misleading Robocalls

1. Democrat For Reform
    October 27, 2008 at 10:59 am

As a proud, lifelong Democrat, I support the four Reform Slate candidates — Brick, Maddox, Palazzo & Winsten. They would have been endorsed by our Democratic Party of Orange County but for policy that prohibits the endorsement of any non-Democrats running for public office.

2. October 27, 2008 at 11:22 am

“They would have been endorsed by out Democratic Party of Orange County but for policy that prohibits the endorsement of any non-Democrats.”

That statement has no basis in fact.

If non-Democrats could be endorsed and all candidates running had applied for the endorsement, it’s possible some of the “reform” candidates could have gained endorsement by the DPOC. But it’s not likely, as several of them hold positions that would be anathema to the members of the DPOC central committee. Winsten supports vouchers, for example.

Clearly some Democrats support the “reform” slate. Some Republicans support the teacher’s union slate. Those are facts. But there is no evidence to support the statement that the “reform” slate “would have been endorsed” if circumstances had been different.

3. Republican Dementia
    October 27, 2008 at 11:54 am

They would have been endorsed by God, but they have sold their souls to Satan

They would have been endorsed by Senator Obama, but he was too busy

They might have been endorsed by John Lennon, but he’s dead.

Can we have a contest?

And how many Republicans have purchased Democratic slate mailer?

I hope every Democrat who is being bashed by Republicans is calling these hypocrites on their blatant lies.

4. October 27, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I have seen the allegations flying on both sides of this controversial race and most of it seems to boil down to exaggerated or irrelevant ad hominem attacks. But one thing seems clear to this Democrat. All of the candidates in this race are Republicans and, whether I like it or not, they will affect the governance of my children’s school district and I plan to have a say in who they are. This district has been in trouble for years and needs serious reform. Winsten may but sympathetic to the notion of vouchers (so is Obama), but trustees have no say in this state matter. Kooiman, on the other hand, has opposed Prop 98 and categorical funding and supports merit pay for teachers, all positions contrary to her teachers union supporters. Kutnick has written a memo to the district indicating clear racial bias against Latinos. I’m sure there are other interesting differences and anomalies as well. Stiff is an admitted chronic lawbreaker. But clearly, one slate of candidates (Kooiman, Kutnick and Stiff) has embraced the failed status quo and the other slate (Brick Maddox, Palazzo and Winsten), long-needed reforms. I will choose the candidates who offer the greatest chance for reform, the reform slate of Brick Maddox, Palazzo and Winsten.

5. Heard it all before
    October 27, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Democrat that wants reform–I guess you did not hear about Palazzo being caught snooping around the Superintendent’s office while he was out of the building, or Winsten suing the District over boundary decisions with which he disagreed (costing the District $300,000 from the general fund) and Maddox paying for robocalls attempting to fool Democratic voters into concluding that the Democratic Party had endorsed the recall candidates. Is this the kind of reform that you are seeking? Who knows about Brick? He has not attended any public events where he could be questioned on his positions by voters…of course none of the other recall candidates have done so either, so I guess we are expected to vote for the “reformers” sight-unseen. Trust them because they are called reformers, right.

6. The Recall group is not the answer
    October 27, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I am a Democrat and I do NOT support the recall group. I am a Democrat and I do NOT support any candidate that supports vouchers. I am a Democrat and a parent of CUSD students and I DO support a board that pays attention to the education of our children and not playing political games. I will vote for Kooiman, Kutnick and Stiff and based on Mr. Maddox’s participation in the robo calls mentioned above, I will also vote for Miller.

7. Cindy Magdalino
    October 28, 2008 at 7:34 am

This democrat says, thanks, but no thanks, to candidate Erin Kutnick. She is a racist and I will not be supporting her or anyone who runs with her! Can someone please post here the letter she sent to the school district stating she would never let her children go to school with ‘the brown children.’ This letter was truly disgusting, and in my mind, makes her an unacceptable candidate for my children’s school board.

8. Teacher who loves CUSD
    October 28, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Here are some facts for Democrat Who Wants Reform. The reform slate is financed by the Education Alliance, which has made blatant attempts to take over other school districts and has taken over CUSD as of last June. The Ed. Alliance was founded by Howard Ahmanson, who is on the board of the Chalcedon Foundation. The goal of the latter is to “guide Christians in the task of governing their own spheres of life in terms of the entire Bible: in family, church, school, vocation, arts, economics, business, media, the state, and all other areas of modern life.” Thus you can see that the reform slate is anti-Constitution, specifically anti-First Amendment. If you don’t mind having a Christian perspective imposed on our students, go ahead and vote for the reform slate; our Founding Fathers will be rolling in their graves.

9. Factchecker
    October 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Just a quick correction for the oft quoted “Education Alliance backed” reference: the Education Alliance gave $17k to the Recall group between 2005-2006. CUEA (the teacher’s union) gave much more, $84k, to the Recall during that same period. This year they have received only $5k from the Education Alliance. Even though they no longer support the Recall group, the union has still outspent the Alliance by $62k! The Recall group did and continues to accept donations from any group that will donate, so it could be argued that neither group unduly influenced the slate of candidates.
    It’s all in the public record:

10. Democrat For Reform
    October 28, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Teacher Who Loves CUSD:

As a lifelong Democrat, I believe our party is the party who time and again stands up for the honest, hard working American man and woman. However, I’m growing weary of the intolerance and outright hostility the ultra left-wing of our party demonstrates for Christians and people of faith. I feel like our party is being taken over by outspoken, ultra left wing fringe elements.

I am a cradle Catholic. My parents grew up during the great depression. My father was born in Mexico. My family knew very well what it meant to struggle to make ends meet. I attended Catholic School through grade 12. My parents taught me the value of a good education…and the importance of being a God fearing person. I do not support abortion except in cases of rape, incest or to protect the mother’s health. I believe in the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman and plan to Vote Yes on Prop 8.

That doesn’t mean I’m “anti-Constitution” or “anti-First Amendment” or that I want “a Christian perspective imposed”– it merely means I am a proud Democrat with a different point of view – one that is not blatantly intolerant of Christians and religion in general.

I am disgusted the CTA made a million dollar donation to the No on Prop 8 Campaign. I don’t believe that issue has anything to do with our schools. While I am opposed to vouchers, I have to agree with the Education Alliance that the teachers union has “lost its way” and is pursuing a different political agenda that conflicts with their primary mission (advocating for teachers).

Democrats, we should stop attacking each other and drop the hostility towards Christians and people of faith. We are supposed to be the party that values diversity. Is this true, or have we become a bunch of hypocrites who only respect those people who agree with us on every social issue?

Isn’t there a place for me and other Christians in our Democratic Party today?

And just for the record — I love CUSD too. My children attend school in CUSD. Every candidate running for the CUSD School Board in this election is a registered Republican — that’s just a fact. The important point here is that voters from all ends of the political spectrum — from the left, right, and in between, all support restoring honesty, integrity and accountability to our corrupt school district leadership. I resent the implication that only Republicans care about honesty, integrity and accountability — we all do!

11. Democrat For Reform
    October 30, 2008 at 10:50 am

Wow, the silence is deafening…and suggests to me the folks who post to this blog do NOT believe there a place for me and other Christians in our Democratic Party today?

No wonder so many of my friends are changing their registrations to Decline To State.