SiteMeter working again

Apparently, the SiteMeter system is back up and running. Here is the explanation they have placed on their main page.

SiteMeter IE Issues Resolved

Dear SiteMeter Users,

We have become aware of a compatibility issue with our SiteMeter tracking code and IE 7 (possibly IE 6) browsers that started sometime last night.

The problem was related to some work we were doing on the backend system for our upcoming website launch.

We’ve identified and resolved two separate but related issues -

1 – IE Users viewing pages – There was a problem with users who placed their SiteMeter tracking code outside of their HTML Body Tag. Because of the changes we made this created a failure for visitors viewing sites using Internet Explorer 7.

2 – Accessing SiteMeter and Stats – Individuals trying to access or view their SiteMeter stats by clicking on their SiteMeter logo/icons were unable to gain access. This again appears to have affected only individuals using IE7.

At this time both problems have been fixed and our services are fully operational.

For those who removed the SiteMeter code from your pages please be assured that the problem has been resolved and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
The SiteMeter Team

I was tipped off to this post on photoessayist.blogspot.com

Sitemeter Says The Problem Is OUR Fault
Here is one of the reasons Sitemeter gave for the crash of their code:

1 – IE Users viewing pages – There was a problem with users who placed their SiteMeter tracking code outside of their HTML Body Tag. Because of the changes we made this created a failure for visitors viewing sites using Internet Explorer 7.

This is horse shit. On my blogs AND my web site the code is ENTIRELY inside the body tags (or was.) So if they believe this then they are saying that we caused our own headaches. To hell with you Sitemeter. Stop blaming others for your failures.

Your biggest failure was installing new code and then walking away not knowing if the code would work or not. It didn’t and it took you 12 to 18 hours to fix it. Shame on you.

When you go to this page you will notice that they turned comments OFF. They know no one is happy with them right now or like me agree with the cause of the failure.

I’ve got to agree. Although I know enough about code to get myself in trouble, I do know that the SiteMeter code on TheLiberalOC.com was inside the body tag.