The Face of Gay Marriage

Photo Credit/LA Times

Octogenarians wed

Doug Irving over at the Orange County Register has an updated web story with a great photo slideshow to the right of the article. We will have additional LiberalOC coverage of the days events later this evening.

Our Conservative opponents against Gay Marriage never bring actual people into the equation.  The photo of this couple, together since the Eisenhauer administration, marrying yesterday in San Francisco places two human faces on what it means to have a loving and enduring relationship.  And no heterosexual marriages were harmed in the making of this photograph.

The women in the photo, Phyllis Lyon, 84, left, and Del Martin, 86 on the right, were married at San Francisco City Hall. The couple has been together since the 1950s.

Please, some conservative out there, please explain to me how allowing these two women to marry harms the institution of marriage?  How does it damage straight marriage?

The Orange County Register reports that some 200 new marriage licenses are reserved for today.  Even the Register’s own poll showed support for 25 percent of all Republicans for Gay Marriage; its not scientific, but nice to know some of our right wing friends knuckles don’t drag on the ground when they walk.

12 comments for “The Face of Gay Marriage

1. The Message
    June 17, 2008 at 10:49 am

I will try at this. Dan you are using a straw man argument to make your points and therefor you debate badly. This is not a religious issue but a traditional one and a fiscal one. With the foreclosure crisis, the budget crisis, this will only put more strain on county clerks and budgets. Therefore we should discriminate against entire groups of people so we can save money. So now you stop the straw man arguments which is why I will not respond to your questions like a typical conservative.

How does that work Dan?

June 17, 2008 at 11:28 am

Great. Traditionally, marriages were arranged by families for the purposes of sustaining wealth and property. Go back 60 years, and traditional marriages could not occur between those of different races. If you are going to deny the civil rights of gays and lesbians to marry on the grounds of it will cost the government more, then as a conservative, I’d argue that you are a poor advocate for freedom and liberty.

3. Steven Greenhut
    June 17, 2008 at 11:30 am

I am a traditionalist in my thinking on marriage, but it is not any business of mine if gay people get married. The ideal would be for the government to get out of the business altogether and leave it up to religious institutions to set their own marriage rules. I don’t care if the state allows it, but I’d be upset if my church did.

Because religious conservatives seem to base their opposition to gay marriage on Scripture, then why aren’t they trying to ban divorce? I know the answer: It’s always easier to criticize Other People’s Sins! And evangelicals have a surprisingly high rate of divorce. Jesus had nothing specific to say about homosexuality, but a number of things to say about divorce, including this: “Every one who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.”

Basically, state-sanctioned gay marriage will change nothing for anyone who is not involved in one of these marriages. So why object?

June 17, 2008 at 11:55 am

Churches can do what they want; Religion is not a democracy,

June 17, 2008 at 11:56 am

But if you find a Catholic Church that performs a gay wedding ceremony, let me know cause I will start going there.

6. The Message
    June 17, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Dan,

This christmas I will buy you the gift of understanding sarcasm. I swear, some of my fellow Liberals seem to have been born with the sense of humor of a conservative. Its called sarcasm, I am not a conservative.

The Message

7. Gary Kephart
    June 17, 2008 at 1:16 pm
  8. Jack Handy (D-Gammorrah)
    June 17, 2008 at 1:27 pm

As the Assemblymember from Gammorrah, I want to warn California that fire may start falling from above and consume you all in the eternal flame of God’s wrath.

June 17, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Sarcasm doesn’t always translate well to text; you need to hear the inflection of one’s voice and read body language to get the full flavor of it.

Jack –
    that’s what we deserve if we let Chuck DeVore have his way with nuclear power….

10. June 17, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I spent the day at the clerk’s office in Laguna Hills, handing out roses and congratulating 30+ couples in the sun-drenched courtyard along with the people who really held down the fort, members of the local Unitarian Universalists Church. (Me, I am unaffiliated.)

Nary a protester in sight.

More coverage and photos at:

11. RE: Jack Hany
    June 17, 2008 at 7:02 pm

So, Assemblymember Handy-
    When Fire and Brimstone don’t rain down on CA as a result of today’s marriage ceremonies, maybe you’ll figure out that nothing is “wrong” with gay folks after all.

12. Odin
    June 18, 2008 at 12:26 am

I am very torn on the idea of gay marriage. I kind of feel that freedom is a two way street and if gays are allowed there opinions so are the opinions allowed of religious groups. kind of like how white men feel oppressed by afermitive action. and as a homosexual i feel that our culture as the gay community will be jeopardized by the conforming onslaught of gays trying to assimilate into the straight ranks. I am not opposed to gay marriage but I’m serton i am not getting married any time soon