DPOC Calls Special Meeting Re: Hoa Tran Endorsement

The other Orange County blogs Red County and Total Buzz have already posted this. But since it is another new develpoment in the ongoing saga of the Hoa Van Tran for Supervisor campaign, I may as well cover it here too.

The following email went out to the Democratic Party of Orange County Central Committee this afternoon.

Dear Central Committee Members:

The Chair has called for a Special Meeting to discuss the First Supervisorial District election and DPOC endorsement.

Attached please find an agenda for this meeting.

The meeting is scheduled to take place next Tuesday, May 27th at 7:00 pm at the Teamsters Union Hall (140 S. Marks Way, Orange CA).

There are a number of parlimentary scenarios that could play out on Tuesday night. What should be noted is that the DPOC Bylaws require a 60% vote in favor for a non-incumbent to receive the Party endorsement. My understanding is that should this matter come to a vote, Tran would need to maintain that 60% margin to retain the endorsement.

At any rate, it is good that Frank Barbaro has called for a special meeting. This way the members get to have their say, one way or another.

16 comments for “DPOC Calls Special Meeting Re: Hoa Tran Endorsement

1. Bladerunner
    May 23, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Nice try Chris. Hoa has the endorsement. He doesn’t anything to retain it. The burden is on those who wish to remove the endorsement. That motion will take 60% of those present and voting to prevail.

2. Joey
    May 23, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Hoa,

Fire eduardo!

3. Joey
    May 23, 2008 at 8:59 pm

This time someone nneds to take a camera and show all what transpires during this meeting.

If Chris acts like a poor sport, let see it.

If Eduardo bring his entourage of kids, lets see it.

If Eduardo refuses to answer questions or disupts the meeting, lets see it

If Hoa Van tran reads a long drawn out blog posting, let see it.

Someone, do like Matt a Red County does and record for all to see.

4. Paul Lucas
    May 23, 2008 at 9:11 pm

“This way the members get to have their say, one way or another.”

Yeah nice try Chris.
    The members already spoke when they gave their approval of Hoa’s endorsement the last time this endorsement was nearly blocked.

The campaign finance reports have been amended to a point where some minor adjustments need to be made. That’s if I take the statements from this blog as truth. I also understand that Edgardo may be leaving the camping. So my question to you is this:

Should the reports be amended and updated to the best extent possible, and should Edgardo leave the campaign, will you finally leave Hoa alone and support if not in the least stop attacking the only Democrat in the race?

Mind you, I never defended the reported actions and or behavior of Edgardo. My position is and always has been that I believe much of this flame directed at Hoa Van Tran is due to your feelings toward Edgardo.

5. why did Paul File?
    May 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Paul why did you file against Hoa? Who paid you to do it? Who paid you to write the letter?

6. The Message
    May 23, 2008 at 11:58 pm

what’s the point? now do we get to watch hoa give another kimchi-who-lost-her-mind-and-quite-a-real-job written diatribe…whopee

7. May 24, 2008 at 1:02 am

Bladerunner,

I don’t think I’ll debate parilmentary procedure with you on a blog. While you and I may find it an interesting discussion, I doubt most people would be able to stay awake.

Let me just say I believe that there is a way for the Central Committee to change it’s mind and it doesn’t take 60% to do so.

Paul,

The Central Committee is entitled to change its mind if it chooses. The problem with Hoa continuing to hold the DPOC endorsement is that he has demonstrated a lack of competence needed to hold that endorsement as well as the position of County Supervisor.

The ship of getting rid of Reynoso has sailed. In addition to the previous campaign statements that still need further amendment, we now have the new ones that need amendment as well.

Hoa Van Tran isn’t competent enough to place a lawn sign in his yard, much less be a County Supervisor.

8. May 24, 2008 at 2:00 am

Bladerunner,

Consider this:

A motion to cancel a previous action takes a majority vote if noticed. The agenda notifies the Central Committee that this action will be considered if a motion to do so is made at a the special meeting called for that primary purpose.

While it takes a 60% vote to achieve an endorsement it only takes a majority vote to lose it. The Bylaws only require a 60 % vote to receive the endorsement. A majority vote clearly indicates that 60% of the body no longer supports the prior action.

9. May 24, 2008 at 2:47 am

You’re right, Chris, that did put me to sleep. Good night, Chris. Good night, Paul. Good night, Bladerunner.

10. May 24, 2008 at 8:23 am

Glad to help Vern. It even put me to sleep.

11. Vote for Paul Lucas!
    May 24, 2008 at 8:28 am

Vote for Paul Lucas. Today at the Strawberry Festival Paul will be walking around shaking hands and asking for votes. I think he deserves to be elected the #1 White Guy Trannie in the OC. Paul you have my vote!

12. May 24, 2008 at 11:04 am

I was going to have a fiesta at my house on Tuesday, but now I am going to attend this meeting with my video camera in tow. I hope Hoa and Reynoso bring their cholos!

13. May 24, 2008 at 11:35 am

I’ll see you there Art, should be interesting. If El Reynoso is really leaving, that’s probably the best news for us OC Dems. Then all we need is for Paul to finally come clean about the filing fee if he can.

14. Frank is an idiot
    May 24, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Too little too late Frank

15. May 24, 2008 at 1:41 pm

To the previous poster.

While it is my personal opinion that this should have happened earlier, I concede that there was a level of benefit of the doubt given to Hoa earlier. The continued drip, drip, drop of allegations and mistakes has made the endorsement a problem for many of those who initially gave Hoa the benefit of the doubt when the endorsement was issued.

It appears that Hoa no longer enjoys that level of support. Since Frank has no power to make the decision on his own regarding the matter, he called a special meeting of the Central Committee to consider whether or not it wishes to change its mind.

It may be late, but it is far from too little. A special meeting of the Central Committee is highly unusual.

16. HB citizen
    May 24, 2008 at 9:33 pm

At the very time that the party should be spending their time on GOTV and fundraising for our candidates, they are embroiled in this kerfuffle.

NOTE TO OC CENTRAL COMMITTEE DEMOCRATS: Spend your time on Tuesday night walking precincts or phonebanking!