I just got a special alert from Young Democrats of America about something really important. Right now, Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) and Rep. Harry Mitchell (D-AZ) are sponsoring a bill to ensure our Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans get the education they deserve once they’re home. This is considered to be the new “21st Century GI Bill”.
Here’s what it will do if passed:
* Make benefits available to all members of the military who have served on active duty since 9/11/2001, including activated reservists and National Guard.
* Provide benefits for tuition, housing, and books for up to 36 months of education for Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.
* Link amount of benefits to amount of time served on active duty.
* Increase amount of time after leaving active duty to collect educational assistance to fifteen years compared to ten.
* Allows additional payments for tutorial assistance as well as licensure and certification tests.
* Create a new program in which the government will agree to match, dollar for dollar, any voluntary additional contributions to veterans from institutions whose tuition is more expensive than the maximum assistance provided.
OK, so don’t you think our vets deserve a good education? If so, then please sign this petition. Let your Congresscritters know that we really want to support the troops by making sure they’re taken care of when they come home.