A fun new research tool/time-waster!

I love doing online campaign finance research. Fundrace.org was one of my favorite sites in 2004. You could type in a zip code and see which residents were giving to which candidates and how much they donated.

I’m happy to see that Fundrace has been updated for 2008. It works the same way – you type in a name or zip code, and you can see all contributions made to presidential candidates for this cycle (data is through June 30). Fun stuff!

What are YOUR favorite political research tools?

11 comments for “A fun new research tool/time-waster!

August 14, 2007 at 2:53 pm

wow, they already have my contribution to Hillary up.

2. Flowerszzz
    August 14, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Yikes! I wonder if it is so great to have the addresses up? The state rule is no addresses are to be posted on line.

3. August 14, 2007 at 8:02 pm

Well, donors are made aware that their information is public record after reaching the $200 threshold. Name, address, occupation, and employer.
    And state laws don’t apply to the FEC and federal candidates.

4. hg wells
    August 15, 2007 at 5:45 am
  5. Flowerszzz
    August 15, 2007 at 6:26 am

While you are correct that donors are public information…I still think it a bad idea to post addresses on line. I am not an idiot…I know state rules do not apply to federal ones…lol.

August 15, 2007 at 11:12 am

Marty outed me today on Total Buzz; I’m supporting Hillary

7. Stanley Mosk
    August 15, 2007 at 6:51 pm

Those piles of hundred dollar bills are amusing.
    Especially since it is illegal for a candidate at Federal, State, or Local level to accept more than $99 in cash.

August 15, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Huh Stan? The limit is $2300 per presidential candidate and another $2300 after they win the primary. I used a money order. Perfectly legal.

The limits for city elections in Irvine I believe was $390…where are you getting the $99 figure from?

9. Flowerszzz
    August 15, 2007 at 9:25 pm

dan he said CASH not a check. It is illegal for any PAC to accept more then $99 in cash.

August 15, 2007 at 9:30 pm

its a picture of money; its a metaphor. Gosh, you people are so literal that you can’t associate a graphic with a point?

Who uses cash anymore?

11. Stanley Mosk
    August 15, 2007 at 9:41 pm

You are correct Flowerzzz/Jennifer F.
    The operative term here is CASH. Campaigns can accept contributions up to the limit via check or money order or credit card. But they cannot accept over $99 in CASH at the local, state, or national level. So a campaign should never see a bill with Benjamin Franklin on it.
    Dan, you’d be surprised how many people try to stuff CASH into those remit envelopes.
    And who uses money orders anymore?
    -Stan