Encouraging news from pollster Stan Greenburg; his new report shows a promising outcome for Democrats in general in 2008 both in the presidential race and in Congress.Ã‚Â Here is the report.
The Key findings here, as published by Political Wire, are:
- The “opinion elite” in the country — those with a college education and earning more than $75,000 — support a Democratic presidential candidate by an 11 point margin.
- Independents have defected from Republican candidates and now support a Democrat for president by 19 points.
- Young voters are breaking to Democrats with landslide margins.
- Married women — a key swing vote — are breaking marginally for the Democrats this year after swinging strongly for the Republicans in 2004.
- Unmarried women — a key bloc of “base” voters for Democrats — pick the Democratic candidate by two to one margin.
Now the whole question remains, what has to happen to Orange County to turn this Red Country a strong shade of purple?Ã‚Â I look to the growth projections for the county and the demographics of these new Orange County residents, and I can’t help but believe registrations for Democrats are on the way up.