The predictable Ã¢â‚¬Å“youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re with us or youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re against usÃ¢â‚¬Â mentality of those on the right wing is rearing its head in the form of backlash against Steve Greenhut.Ã‚Â On Sunday, Greenhut announced his decision to leave todayÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s GOP borrowing a line from Ronald Reagan on Ã¢â‚¬Å“I didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t leave the party, the party left me.Ã¢â‚¬Â
Matt Cunningham suggests that Greenhut could stay to help repair the party.Ã‚Â “…there are essentially two responses one can make when one’s political party drifts from its philosophical moorings: abandon ship, or stay and fight to steer it back to its proper, principled course.”Ã‚Â But what Matt suggests is not the role of a journalist or even an editorial writer like Greenhut.
While I don’t expect to see Steve enroll as a Democrat, I do believe the reaction from the right wing means more even handed coverage.Ã‚Â As the saying goes, “never piss off people who buy ink by the barrel and newsprint by the truckload.”
HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a sampling of some of the comments on OCBlog.net about this move; I have deleted the names:
- Thank God he is gone. Good riddance.Ã‚Â Who would of ever have thought that liberal, cop-hater is a member of the GOP.
- So is Greenhut accepting a position and the Orange County ACLU branch? Or better yet perhaps he is going to get jumped in to a local street gang to fight the law abiding citizens and police! Maybe he can open a new propoganda publication for a prison gang. Wow Greenhut the possibilities are endless. Sail on and dont forget to take your keyboard so you have cover to hide behind!Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
- How about Greenhut leaves for Iraq while he’s at it. Im sure the terrorists would love his views against law and order. Are things that bad for Greenhut that he needs to try to hype up his articles in hopes of selling more advertisment and papers? Things must be getting worse and worse for that man. What party is left for him…..the Democrats (wont have him), Independant, Peace and Freedom (he’d fit in), Green (not sure Gore and Greenhut’s head would fit in the same room) or ???? Any more ideas?
- After reading his column, several times to be sure not miss anything he might have said. It appears he has the current disease of most in America today. Instead of fighting for what he believes in and wants, he turns tail and runs away?Ã‚Â Why is it so hard to stand and fight for what you believe?
- Did Greenhut think that much of himself that he had to anounce his departure? First Greenhut states he wants more government in certain areas and then out the other side of his mouth he states the GOP is for more government so he is leaving. You cant have it both ways Greenhut! Talk about flip flop! I wonder what his big announcement will be next week. Can’t wait!
- I heard Greenhut is going to do a piece next week on the jackbooted thug cops in Garden Grove for outing the child molesters that moved into a local hotel. Greenhut is angry that the cops are using Megans Law to hide behind. I think Greenhut is going to propose a civilian oversight committee to oversee the protection of child molesters and their rights to live wherever they want without being outed!