Happy Earth Day! Make a couple of changes in your routines today, and by Earth Day 2008, you can say that youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve made an impact.
1. Recycle at work: if your office or workplace doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t already have a recycling program, set one up. But a couple of trashcans and let people know that you are going to be recycling aluminum cans and plastic bottles. Save up the money and have a fun party next Earth Day.
2. Replace bulbs: take three frequently used light bulbs and replace them with compact fluorescent bulbs.
3. Use less gasoline: gas is expensive, so start to carpool, use public transportation, or ride a bike.
4. Only run a full dishwasher: save water and electricity by only running your dishwasher when youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve filled it up.
5. Plant a tree: trees suck up carbon dioxide and make clean air for us to breathe.
6. Vote Democratic: Democrats have a better track record with environmental issues, so vote for them! Even if a Democrat is running for a seat on your local city council or school board, give them your support. Many politicians start in those local offices.
7. Turn it off: If you arenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t using an electronic, turn it off. You can help even more by unplugging things that are not in use.
9. Buy recycled: when you buy things, check to see if the packaging is made of recycled materials. It is really easy to do, especially with printer paper.
10. Buy organic: when possible, buy organic food because the chemicals used in modern agriculture pollute the water supply, and require energy to produce.